Nobody

Politics, ethics, travel, book & film reviews, and a log of Starbucks across this great nation.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Sunday, April 04, 2010

Nobody 813


Easter Sunday, April 4, 2010
Nobody # 813

Nobody Asked Me But:

“There are but two kinds of men who desire war: those who haven't the slightest intention of fighting it themselves and those who haven't the slightest idea what it is.” A Lincoln

And so, we are down to two – Butler and Duke. Based on what I saw yesterday, I don’t think Butler can beat the Blue Devils who seem to be peaking. I hope I am wrong.<<<

Best quote of the tournament: “If I was not playing, I’d be a Butler fan,” Michigan State coach Tom Izzo.

The best-named player in the tournament didn’t make it to the FF. That would be Xavier's Special Jennings.<<<

Continuing in my quest to “out” stupidity in Tucson, I give you this comment posted in the Arizona Daily Star relative to the census forms being mailed out: “I threw mine in the trash, and so did my neighbor.”<<<

“Happy Days” was one of the shows listed on a recent CNN list of television shows that “jumped the shark,” (outstayed its welcome). I agree. Like many great television shows, it was an outstanding show as long as it kept its original cast, but less so with each cast change. Even M*A*S*H* was not a complete exception. Although better than almost any at remaining brilliant, it dimmed slightly when Gary Burghoff and Larry Linville left. Only the change from McLean Stevenson to Henry Morgan was seamless.<<<

No more free lunches. Not all the best things in life are free. The morning e-mailed edition of The Sporting News that I have written about is going to start charging $2.99 a month. And guess what? I will pay it. It is just too good to miss. And, at least, I get the first 60 days free for being such a loyal reader.<<<

David Brooks posed the following question in a column last week:

Two things happened to Sandra Bullock this month. First, she won an Academy Award for best actress. Then came the news reports claiming that her husband is an adulterous jerk. So the philosophic question of the day is: Would you take that as a deal? Would you exchange a tremendous professional triumph for a severe personal blow?

No way. I did that once. I sacrificed key parts and moments in my relationship with my children for the ego strokes of being president and chief negotiator for the Simi Educators Association. Despite the personal growth, it was a huge mistake. Never again will I place ambition above love.<<<

There is an interesting fringe benefit, however, for winning an Academy Award. Research by Donald A. Redelmeier and Sheldon M. Singh has found that, on average, Oscar winners live nearly four years longer than nominees that don’t win.<<<

I knew I liked Ralph – “We dare not trust our wit for making our house pleasant to our friend, so we buy ice cream.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Did you know that:

1 When first used in the United States, catsup was used mainly on pork chops?

2 Giovanni Carmazzi, Tee Martin and Spergon Wynn were all quarterbacks taken ahead of Tom Brady in the NFL’s 2000 draft?

Here is another for my list of Best Negative Movie Reviews: “It's doubtful that records are kept about this sort of thing, but consider the possibility that ‘Clash of the Titans’ is the first film to actually be made worse by being in 3-D.<<<

I read the other day that one of the numbers listed on the Republican National Committee letter is a phone sex line. Perhaps this is one of the party’s 12 steps to wean their members off the extra-curricular real thing.<<<

Baseball 2010 – Here are my annual predictions. I would tell you to take them for what they are worth, but then you might charge me.

AL EAST

The Red Sox have better pitching, but the Yankees have the better over-all line up and pitching that is not far behind Boston. As for the Devil Rays, they are petitioning the Supreme Court to be placed in one of the other division, in either of which they would be strong favorites.

AL CENTRAL

This is the tightest 3-team race in baseball between the Twins, Tigers and White Sox. All three have excellent pitching and the Twins have the hitting to match. Throw in their new ballpark and you can see why I started this piece intending to pick them. But something keeps whispering “Tigers,” who have had an excellent spring, in my ear. So I am calling it Tigers, Twins with the White Sox third.

HOT TIPS – Watch out for Austin Jackson or Scott Sizemore, both Tigers, to win the Rookie of the Year award. Another Tiger, second-year pitcher Rick Porcello, will be top 5 for the AL Cy Young and Robinson Cano (Yankees) will win the batting title.

AL WEST

I like the changes made by the Mariners, but I still think that the Angels have too much balance to be caught.

WILD CARD

This is going to be an incredibly tight race between the Red Sox, Twins and Mariners. My brain says Sox. My intuition says Twins. I will go with the latter.

NL EAST

The Phillies have too much balance and a front office willing to spend enough (Roy Halladay) to keep them on top. They will lap the field. Atlanta’s pitching gives them a slight edge over the Marlins for second.

NL CENTRAL

The Cardinals have the league’s best player and two of its top pitchers and not much else. But that will be enough for them to edge out the improving Brewers.

NL WEST

The Dodgers have several outstanding young stars, but their key remains in left field. If the “old” Manny is out there, they will win the division. If it is the post-suspension Manny, they won’t. Since I lean towards the latter, I will go with the Rockies who are solid and balanced. The great/pitch, no/hit Giants and the improving Diamondbacks will battle for third.

HOT TIPS - watch for: Justin Upton (Diamondbacks) to have a monster year, Clayton Kershaw (Dodgers) to be top five for the Cy Young and Oldis Chapman (Reds) to be ROY.






















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home