Nobody

Politics, ethics, travel, book & film reviews, and a log of Starbucks across this great nation.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Nobody 808


Sunday, February 28, 2010

Nobody # 808


Nobody Asked Me But:


HAPPY BIRTHDAY TODAY ELIZABETH! (ACTUALLY HER BIRTHDAY IS FEBRUARY 29, BUT, OF COURSE, THIS IS NOT LEAP YEAR.)


JUST SUPPOSE


“It is not irrelevant that the American people, if you average out all of the polls, are opposed to this bill by 55% to 37%.” Senate Minority leader Mitch McConnell


Just suppose - that if you averaged out all the polls, Americans supported the bill by 55% to 37%. What then would be the chance that Mitch and his fellow Republicans would feel compelled to vote in favor of it?


The answer please: Slim or none – and you can forget about the slim. Phony bastards.<<<


And here is my impression of the health care summit – too many speeches, too little communication.<<<


Turner’s rules for living: Never apologize unless you have done something wrong – unless of course you are apologizing to your wife to save a hassle.<<<


A body in motion will remain in motion, and a body at rest wants to stay at rest. Sir Isaac Newton.


Who would have known that my aging process would provide absolute proof of Newton’s first and second laws of motion? When my body is at rest, sitting for a while or driving some distance, it wants so much to stay at rest that it screams with pain when I put it in motion. But once I break the pain/stiffness threshold, it will stay comfortably in motion for a long time – or until my legs get tired.<<<


A corollary to Newton’s Law is one called Turner’s Ordinance. It goes like this: A body that kneels down to retrieve something - will have a hell of a time getting back up.<<<


UNUSUAL BUT VERY NICE


On Monday we went in to our local Kaiser for yearly his and hers blood tests, which, of course meant a 14-hour fast - and, what is worse for me, a 3-day wine fast. Anyway, afterwards my wife actually sat down with me for a scone at Starbucks.


She only stayed 10 minutes before heading across the street to Vons, but it was cool.<<<


Note: We gave blood at 9:10am. Out first set of results were posted on our computer at 11:21 and 11:26. Amazing!<<<


Last week I mentioned discovering author Robert Ellis. This week I am pleased to report that “City On Fire,” which actually was written before “The Lost Witness,” is at least as good.<<<


And while on the subject of books, as I bought and read the new Robert B. Parker, “Split Image,” last week, I was reminded of how sad I am that he is gone. As always, Parker’s new book brought me joy. Granted, his novels are not mental hurdles. They are more like peaceful morning walks on a temperate beach. I swear that some day soon, I am going to reread them all.<<<


I saw a “The Daily Show” recently on which Jon Stewart’s guest was my all-time favorite baseball player, the “Say-Hey Kid,” Willie Mays. Willie was funnier then heck – aw heck, he was funnier than hell. Stewart asked him about the racial insults he received from the crowd when he was in the minors. Mays said they only made him hit the ball farther. In one series he hit two home runs in the first game and two and a triple the second. Then, when he was taking the field for the third game, the public address announcer told the crowd, “Folks, leave that guy alone. He’s killing us!”<<<


More on baseball- only in the minors: The Detroit Tiger’s Class A Midwest League team, the Western Michigan White Caps, offers the following at their concession stands – a Twinkie Cheese Dog (a deep fried, cheese covered hot dog on a stick stuck into a sponge cake with creamy filling). UGH!<<<


And what about ex-Bruin point guard Darren Collison? I admit that I was one of those who thought he would be no more than a good back-up point in the NBA. But I am thrilled that he is proving me wrong. Since becoming the starter when Hornet guard Chris Paul was injured, Darren has averaged 20.7 points per game and 8.8 rebounds. Included was a stretch when he scored 24 or more points for five straight games.<<<


Add on Collison: When Darren scored 22 pts and had 9 assists last Wednesday, it gave him at least 18pts and 9 assists in 7 straight games. Only one other rookie has EVER done that - Oscar Robertson, a half- century ago.<<<


What he said: "This new Democrats-only backroom deal doubles down on the same failed approach that will drive up premiums, destroy jobs, raise taxes and slash Medicare benefits." House Minority leader, John Boehner


What he really meant: I will be so glad when we Republicans can stop pretending that we are defending Medicare and privatize the whole damn thing. Phony bastard!<<<


My mother didn’t mean anything bad, but I, like so many children, grew up saying this prayer at bedtime:


Now I lay me down to sleep,

I pray the Lord my soul to keep.

If I should die before I wake,

I pray the Lord my soul to take.


Parents: Do you really want your children to go to sleep afraid that they may die before morning?<<<


TAKE THIS


Anthem Blue Cross plans to go ahead with 39% rate hikes in California.


MIX IN THIS


“My best guess is that they want me dead as soon as possible," Bob Iritano told LA Times business columnist David Lazarus as they spoke at the dining room table of Iritano Westlake Village home.


Bob has terminal cancer and his insurer, Health Net, left him standing in a hospital gown when they refused to pay for a procedure this month that they had willingly covered only six months earlier.


And to add insult to injury, Bob was notified last week that since he was about to turn 50, his premium would go up almost $1,800 a month to more than $2,500 -- a roughly 40% increase.


AND THEN TELL ME


THAT CONGRESS SHOULD NOT PASS A COMPREHENSIVE HEALTH VOTE THIS YEAR, EVEN IF IT TAKES A RECONCILLIATION IN THE SENATE.<<<


Famous days in history - September 9, 1963.


What happened? President Kennedy sat for an interview with Walter Cronkite.


What special significance? It marked the expansion of CBS Evening News from 15 minutes to one-half hour.<<<


"Only the little people pay taxes." What Jamie McCourt reportedly told a maid.


To prove her point, the Mc Courts (owners of the LA Dodgers) earned $108M between 2004 and 2009 and paid ZERO in federal and state taxes.<<<


I am closing today with a quote about how to tell directions from an unknown but wise Canadian:


"If you're seeing mountains, you're facing north. If your feet are wet, you're in the ocean -- that's west. If you've just had your car stolen, you're in Surrey to the east.


"But if you see people without healthcare and waving handguns ...


"You're in the States."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home