Nobody

Politics, ethics, travel, book & film reviews, and a log of Starbucks across this great nation.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Nobody 770


Sunday, May 31, 2009
Nobody # 770

Nobody Asked Me But:

MONDAY, May 25

Let’s give it up for Colin Powell! YOU GO COLIN! Rip the Cheney-Rush-Fox Right a new hole!

TUESDAY, May 26

I like Obama's choice for the Supreme Court. Judge Sonia Sotomayor was a strong second to Judge Diane P. Wood on my list. Actually the Pres could not have gone wrong with any of those on his list. It is, collectively, the best group of possibilities that I can remember. I would have preferred a "take no prisoners" liberal in the mold of Justice Brennen to offset Scalia and Roberts, but I have no real complaint. Judge Sotomayor is an excellent choice, and she will be outstanding.

Wednesday, May 27

I wrote this at the conclusion of my 100th Nobody in May of 1997, 670 Nobodies ago. As Paul Simon wrote in “The Boxer,” “After changes upon changes/Things are more or less the same/After changes things are more or less the same.”

But this is only the beginning. To paraphrase Jimmy Durante, "you ain't read nothing yet." In the next 100, I want to be more creative. I want to spend as much time suggesting solutions as identifying problems. And in the 100 after that, who knows?

In the meantime, tonight is celebration time. I am going to take my best girl to our favorite restaurant (LaFrite). We will drink gimlets and good wine, eat crepes and chocolate soufflé and hold hands.<<

Thursday, May 28

All Patriot Act fans, please sign at the end of the statement.

1. Being innocent, I have nothing to fear from the Patriot Act.

Because

2. Those who enforce it have never mistaken an innocent person for a guilty one.

Signed___________________

Friday, May 31 (Happy Birthday Vicki)

I take back what I wrote Tuesday in praise of the Sotomayor appointment. I have been listening all week to the Right wing arguments against confirming Judge Sotomayor to the Supreme Court, and I must admit that some are quite convincing. Here are three examples:

1. The way she pronounces her name is unnatural.

2. Her fondness for Puerto Rican cuisine may cloud her impartially.

3. She is a spender, not a saver, and does not have enough money in her retirement account.

Come on President Barack. You can surely find someone without these grave character faults.

Saturday, May 30

Girly-man: Is this the Rush-Cheney Right’s new nickname for their former hero, Gen. David Petraeus, now that he has come out as anti-torture and pro-closing Gitmo?
I guess this means that he won’t be the Right candidate for President in 2012.

Sunday, May 31

Not torture, toothpaste!

Dick Cheney says that “enhanced interrogation tactics” work, as proven by the fact that we have had no terrorist’s attacks since they were used. But he is wrong this time. I changed brands of toothpaste right after 9/11 and we have had no terrorist attacks since then. So Colgate should get the credit.
























0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home