Nobody

Politics, ethics, travel, book & film reviews, and a log of Starbucks across this great nation.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Nobody 753

Sunday, January 25, 2009
Nobody # 753

Nobody Asked Me But:

When the red man can get ahead, man,
And when white will embrace what is right.” The Reverend Joseph Lowery

The main thing I remember about my childhood is that I was a lot smaller.<<<

If “Gone With The Wind,” half historical spectacle, half classic soap opera could win the Academy Award for Best Picture, then surely “Dark Knight,” the GWTW of comic-book action films deserved at least a nomination. And perhaps so too did the year’s best comedy, “Tropic Thunder.”<<<

“In the interest of justice and at the direction of the President of the United States." This is from President Obama’s first Executive Order - but in a larger sense can there be a more fitting theme and guideline for the his presidency than these 16 words?<<<

My reaction to the Inaugural Ceremony and the day:

Today only enhanced the sense of wonder and optimism I have felt since the election. America gets double credit in my grade book. Not only did we grow into the idealism that is the best part of our history, but we voted well and selected a President who will be both strong and wise.

The Inaugural Address received mixed reviews ranging from good to excellent. Put me in the excellent column. Here are some of my favorite lines:

A nation cannot prosper when it favors only the prosperous.”

We will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist.” (I thought his constant use of we rather than I was very telling.)

"We will defeat you." (If you keep that fist clenched – Damn straight!)

The time has come to set aside childish things.” (From 1st Corinthians – one of my favorite biblical chapters)

We reject a false choice between safety and American ideals.” (Yes, we can have both freedom and security!)

People will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy.

We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus — and non-believers.” (Non-believers – WOW! Obama is the first president to publicly recognize my legitimacy.)

Overall, I thought the speech set a near perfect tone of challenge and hope. It has been an elegant day for an elegant man.<<<

Hello Mr. President and good-bye Guantánamo. Good-bye torture too. And good riddance. Despite what Jack Bauer claims, you both are unnecessary and un-American.<<<

OTHER TOPICS

Skipping Internet ads. My browser blocks many ads, but I don’t push the skip prompt for those that get through. I see them as my price for all the good stuff it find in cyberspace.<<<

I felt terrible about Ted Kennedy’s collapse. Thank goodness it wasn’t more serious. I know that time is now both his friend and his enemy. It is strange that the man who seemed to be the least of the Kennedy’s turned out to be a Hall of Fame Senator.<<<

My wife is a do it yourself kind of woman. When I ask for anything she says, “do it yourself.”

Colorado justice: In Denver, Municipal Judge Paul Sacco has a special punishment for people who blast their stereos: a night listening to Barry Manilow.

Does this violate the 8th Amendment by being cruel and unusual?

Absolutely!<<<

Words of wisdom from an unwise man:

"My sense now is that it is never as bad as you think it is when you lose and are removed from power. And it's never as good as you think when you win." Ralph Reed<<<

Words of wisdom from a wise man:

But I do know this: while a crisis is a terrible thing to waste, so too is a great politician, with a natural gift for oratory, a rare knack for bringing people together, and a nation, particularly its youth, ready to be summoned and to serve.” Thomas Friedman

And as for the infamous swearing in, David Brooks swears he was running the prompter for Chief Justice Roberts and it went like this it like this:

"Do you, Barack Faithfully Obama, Promise to Hussein execute the office of Faithfully President of the United States, for richer and poorer, for better or worse, in sickness and in health, and to defend the Constitution, for which it stands, one nation, under faithfully, to the best of your ability, so help you God?"<<<

Check out the new and better White House website at www.whitehouse.gov.<<<

Governor Terminator has no SOUL. His liquor tax will take the music out of wine:

Two-buck Chuck = poetry.
Two-twenty nine Chuck = BORING.<<<

Tuesday was a great thrill. So how about a “you are there?” If you could witness any historical event, what would you choose?

I would choose one event with two parts: I would hear the arguments before the Supreme Court and the announcement of their decision in the case of Brown vs. The School Board of Topeka Kansas, et al. You?<<<

Sixteen months to get out of Iraq. Seems reasonable to me.<<<

Say what you want about the Bush Presidency, and I have said a lot and meant it all, from Election Day on, including the Inauguration, the man has been nothing but classy.<<<

I was hoping that President O really called Justice Roberts to the White House to fire him. I know. A SC Justice can only be impeached. But I was hoping that there was a special clause allowing a new President to dismiss one who messed up while administering the Oath of Office.<<<

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS – SPORTS SECTION

Q: If the hapless Tampa Bay Rays can reach the World Series and the woebegone Arizona Cardinals the Super Bowl, isn't it possible the LA Clippers could reach the NBA Finals?

A: NO!

Q: Had the Lakers Trevor Ariza stayed at UCLA for more than one season, is there a good possibility that the Bruins might have won a 12th NCAA basketball title?

A: YES!<<<

Final comment on President Obama’s first week – careful planning is more important than speed in passing the stimulus package. In other words, don’t give Congress a chance to muck it up.<<<


AND A HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAST FRIDAY TO MY WIFE!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home