Nobody

Politics, ethics, travel, book & film reviews, and a log of Starbucks across this great nation.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Nobody 752

Sunday, January 18, 2009
Nobody # 752

Nobody Asked Me But:

Hugh wrote yesterday about the possibility of five teachers on his floor alone losing their jobs on cutback Monday in a couple of weeks; perhaps classes of 50 students after that. We both agree that this is more than sad. It is tragic.

I understand that these are very hard times, but where are our priorities? We are spending $770,000 billion to bailout businesses and banks but none of it to bailout public education and save the kids? A trillion dollars for tax cuts and public works. Is there a higher priority public works project than class size?

Come on leaders. Come on America! It is time to put our money where our mouth is.<<<

On the same general subject: Thomas Friedman proposed in last Sunday’s NY Times that “One of the smartest stimulus moves we could make would be to eliminate federal income taxes on all public schoolteachers so more talented people would choose these careers.”

Come on President Barack. You must have a spot in the West wing for an idea man like this.<<<

The impossible dream – a Jewish state without Arab birth control.<<<

David Brooks, my second favorite conservative, has long been on a like/lukewarm roller coaster relative to his feelings about our very soon to be President. He was a fan a year ago, soured last summer and has been back on the bandwagon since late October. Thus it was with tongue in cheek when he described Obama’s appearance at a recent dinner party held in the home of another conservative columnist, George Will:

It was amazing. He was carried into the house by cherubs, Bruce Springsteen and Oprah Winfrey spread rose petals on the carpet where he was about to walk and he very considerately asked me what vintage of wine I wanted my water turned into.”<<<

As I scanned the menu for Tuesday’s Inaugural Dinner, and decided to pass on the pheasant and duck served with sour cherry chutney, I considered other choice items at inaugurals over the years. Here are some I would take in a microsecond and some that I would pass on even more quickly:

Kennedy’s lobster Newburg – eat.

FDR’s tongue (actually not really his tongue) in 1937 – pass.

Obama’s California's Duckhorns "Goldeneye" Pinot Noir from its Mendocino property. – drink.

FDR’s rolls (no butter), and cake (no frosting) in 1945 – pass.

Bush, the First’s loin of veal stuffed with wild-mushroom and sage dressing – eat.

Obama’s apple-cinnamon sponge cake and sweet cream glace – eat.

Reagan’s abalone bisque– eat.

Garfield’s 100 gallons of pickled oysters – pass.

Buchanan’s 1,200 quarts of ice cream – eat all.

Clinton’s Arkansas Raccoon Supper – pass.

FDR’s sweet potato casserole topped with marshmallows – eat.

(really Eleanor’s favorite, and now I know where my mother got the idea for this holiday regular)<<<

Is God a Wildcat? On the Tuesday before the big game on Thursday, the Arizona Daily Star had several posts from Cat fans who were praying for divine intervention against the Bruins.

Personally I think the only way that God becomes a difference maker in this game is if She suits up and starts ahead of Chase.<<<

Arizona is selling license plates with pro-life messages and London busses are selling ad space with anti-God ones. What’s next? Well that’s probably Victoria’s Secret.<<<

Headline – “Osama bin Laden has calls for a jihad, or holy war, against Israel for its Gaza campaign.”

Small print – Al Queda leader says “I would join you, but I feel safer in my cave.”<<<

Headline – “5 Supreme Court Justices Say Evidence Is Valid Despite Police Error.”

Small print – 5 Supreme Court Justices Say “Goody. Here’s another chance to stick it to the Fourth Amendment.”<<<

Headline – “House Republican leaders have set up a working group to draft their own stimulus proposal focusing on permanent, across-the-board tax relief.”

Small print – “We don’t need no stinking taxes. Give me us millions and our guns and a big, big wall around our houses to keep out terrorists and Mexicans.”<<<

Headline – Arizona Republican Representative Andy Biggs on wanting to repeal the law that set up a speed camera for the state - "It is meant to be authoritarian; it is meant to take away freedom."

Small print - We’re Republican cowboys. It’s just that we have traded our horses for fast cars.<<<

Why I am a sucker for “24.” Here’s a conflicted Jack Bauer, as he alternates fists to the face and bamboo under the fingernails of a “24” viewer:

Jack: TELL ME!

Jack: YOU’VE GOT TO TELL ME!!<<<

Jack: DOES TORTURING MAKE ME A BAD PERSON?<<<

Department of “I knew I had it, but I just didn’t know the name.”

Adamic tradition - A desire to begin anew.

So that’s why I have always loved mornings, Mondays and, back when I was teaching, Septembers.<<<

PALIN ATTACKS TURNER

Palin lashed out at "bored, anonymous, pathetic bloggers who lie."

I may be pathetic and everybody gets bored now and then, but my name is Jim Turner and I don’t lie.<<<

I watched “Transformers” on our DVR last week. It was loud, action dominated and totally juvenile. I loved it. Well actually not loved, but I liked it a lot. It was fun. And that’s enough justification.<<<

I also finished “Atonement.” I started it a month ago but thought it was a little slow-moving. On second glance, I was right. It does move pretty slowly, but it is beautifully filmed and worth some patience on the part of the viewer. It is not as good as the book, but it is a very good film.<<<

I would have bet a thousand dollars that my Bruins could not play as badly as they did yesterday afternoon. They TOTALLY collapsed.<<<

This just in: Hamas announces ceasefire. Says it will give Israel ONE week to withdraw from Gaza.

My advice to Israel – take TWO weeks.<<<






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home