Nobody

Politics, ethics, travel, book & film reviews, and a log of Starbucks across this great nation.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Nobody 744

Sunday, November 23, 2008
Nobody # 744

Nobody Asked Me But:

THE THREE KEY PLAYERS ON WALL STREET ARE MISTERS GREED, PANIC, AND STUPIDITY, AND RIGHT NOW GREED AND STUPIDITY ARE THE BIGGEST FOOLS. EVEN I KNOW THAT SMART PEOPLE BUY LOW AND SELL HIGH.<<<

This is a cheer heard Saturday at Occidental, where the Tigers wrapped up their third unbeaten regular season in four years with a homecoming rout of Whittier: "We've got Barack/You've got Dick/Oxy, Oxy, Oxy/Block that kick!"<<<

If you consider the election of 2008 as a major social/economic/political shift, and I do, then it is the third such in the past 76 years. The election of 1932 opened the door to the New Deal and 48 years of progressive-Democratic rule. Neither of the two Republicans elected during this span did more than to slightly slow it.

1980 marked the start of the Reagan revolution – 28 years of conservative rule. Bill Clinton, the only Democrat to serve during this time period followed, to a great extent, the “to get along, go along” and governed as much from slightly right as slightly left.

What did all three of these elections have in common? They occurred during and largely because of severe economic turndowns.

IT’S THE ECONOMY, STUPID!<<<

I love Obama’s economic stimulus package. Rebuild America’s infrastructure and its economy simultaneously. A New Deal for the 21st Century.<<<

Joe Klein wrote a few days ago that the cold, aloof John Kerry would head any list of senators with whom he least wanted to have a cup of coffee. This started me thinking about my most-least list in that area.

MOST WANTED
Ted Kennedy – the lion in winter.
Susan Collins – almost every time she opens her mouth, I wish she were a Democrat.

LEAST WANTED
Barbara Boxer – knee-jerk liberal. Buy her a cup and you get a slogan.
Jim Bunning – a former Detroit Tiger gone BAD. His knee jerks far right.<<<

I am sure that if most of you searched the part of your brain that contains unimportant memories, American history textbook section, you might run across Peggy Eaton. She was the sleep-around lady who married John Eaton, a close friend of Andrew Jackson. Remember, the “proper” wives of Jackson’s administration shunned her. Jackson, ever loyal, was outraged, and this was one reason (there were several) he broke with VP John C. Calhoun whose wife led the rejection parade.

But did you know that many years later Peggy married her young Italian dancing-master, Antonio Buchignani? She was 59 and he was some say 19, some say in his early 20s. Peggy was a young enough 59 to hold on to her boy-toy for seven years. Then he ran off with her granddaughter and most of her money. Peggy sadly divorced him and died a few years later. It is not known which she missed most in her declining years, her fortune or her nightly dance routines.

So you see. American history CAN be interesting.<<<

In its Sunday magazine, the NY Times had a brief interview with Karl Rove. Here is a summary of the wisdom it contained:

<<<

Is George Bush really Herbert Hoover? Just wondering.<<<

In a recent Zogby poll, 59 percent of respondents described themselves as "fiscally conservative and socially liberal," which is another reason why the Republican Party is doomed for as long as they surrender to their religious right wing.

But surrender they may. Many Republicans seem to be saying - the social fundamentalists couldn’t win it for us this year so lets --- give more power to the social fundamentalists.<<<

Want to hear your favorite song while on line? Here’s the place to dial it in.

http://songza.com/

That was a bizarre ending to the Arizona basketball game last Tuesday. With the game tied an Arizona player (Jamelle Horne, poor kid) intentionally fouled a UAB player on a break-away. The player made one free throw and the Wildcats lost 72-71.

I am not ready to make a judgment about interim UA head coach Russ Pennell’s coaching ability, but I do like the way he handles his players. He seems to have a nice balance of firm and kind.<<<

When I read about the large number of threats aimed at our President-elect, I remember again that too many Americans hang out in the shallow end of the gene pool.<<<

News item – Democratic senators decided not to strip Joseph I. Lieberman of his committee chair.

Comment – What next? Inviting Newt to caucus with the Dems?<<<

I know that last week I supported the possible appointment of Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State. I still think she has the ability, but Thomas Friedman made an interesting point in his column last Wednesday when he wrote that a President as his S of S must speak as one voice and questioned whether, given their recent enmity, that is possible.<<<

Yes, I played show and tell when I was 7 and lived in Wacusta. It was with the girl from the neighboring farm. She was seven too. Why am I telling you this? It is because, like everybody else who wants a job in the Obama administration, I must tell all.

Other confessions before my Vetter:

Once I raised my voice to my 8th grade history class.

I lied to my wife by telling her that I bought a medium Coldstone when I really ordered a large.

When my kids were little I told them I knew everything. Well, maybe that wasn’t really a lie.<<<



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home