Nobody

Politics, ethics, travel, book & film reviews, and a log of Starbucks across this great nation.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Nobody 730

Sunday, February 3, 2008
Nobody # 730

Nobody Ask Me But:

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Albert Einstein <<<

As we begin a new week, I am feeling more than a little relieved. Greg (picture) had two surgeries last week – wrist and hernia – and he is doing great!

Here is Barbara’s brother, Tom, on the election.

I have a prediction for Jim. When John McCain wins our nomination, I bet you he is going to pick Joe Lieberman as his VP. I think that is absolutely brilliant. McCain could beat Hillary without him, but if your guys pick Obama, (which I think is a long shot at this point, unless Bill continues to screw things up), I think he is pretty charismatic and just might be able to pull it off. But with Lieberman, there is no way Obama could win.

And here’s my reply

That is an interesting prediction. I would love to get Joe Lieberman out of the party and into the Republican ranks where he belongs. I think that ticket would be very attractive to independent voters, but the Rush Limbaugh Republicans, of whom there are plenty, would have a fit. They are already saying that a McCain nomination will be the destruction of the party; so having a "Democrat" on the ticket might push them over the edge. The only thing that might make them hold their noses and support the candidates would be their hatred of Hillary. I agree that McCain, because of this attraction to independents, stands a good chance of winning in November, although I think that Hillary would be the favorite.

I even like the guy, although I fear his possible SC appointments. I think he is the most attractive Republican candidate since Nelson Rockefeller. He is the least political of the Republican candidates, and that goes a long way with me. (Obama, who I agree is a long shot, is same for the Democrats)

Add on:

I probably should have written medium shot, because Barack has a “vision guy’s” chance to pull it off.<<<

Add on 2: s

ince this exchange, Lieberman has said he will not run on the Republican ticket, but you never know.<<<

More McCain: As you can see, I do not have MDS. I kid you not. The hatred of National Review Republicans for McCain is so strong, it’s earned its own name: McCain Derangement Syndrome.

Still more McCain: We have something in common. As boys we both had to learn a poem that John often quotes as one of his favorites. The poem is “Invictus.” It’s author, young Ernest Henley it wrote it in 1875 following the amputation of his foot because of tubercular infection. An interesting note is that Henley’s close friend, Robert Louis Stevenson, used him as a model, for obvious reasons, for Long John Silver.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud,
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbow’d.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Like the poet, and like John, I cannot control everything that happens to me, but only I am responsible for how I handle it.<<<

Last, but not least interesting: McCain won In South Carolina among weekly churchgoers but lost among those who go to church more than once a week.<<<

AND IS IT TRUE – as the Onion claimed last week, that “in the midst of a fiercely competitive presidential race with no clear Republican front-runner in sight, an increasingly depressed Mitt Romney shocked political insiders Monday when he released a new national attack ad targeting himself?”<<<

If you could have a cookie-jar sized container filled with anything you wanted – anything but cookies and money - with what would you want the jar to be filled?

Hugh: A jar of golf balls. The golf balls would have the names of all of the GREAT links I plan to play on when I retire.

Elizabeth: Hmm, a jar filled with anything I want. I think I would want it filled with special coupons (free spa day, movie tickets, dinner out, an airline ticket, breakfast in bed from my kids, etc.); I could draw once a week and be surprised at what I got.

(Great ideas but not for me, since I don’t play golf anymore and only on rare occasions go to a spa.)

Me: I want my container filled, as in tightly packed, with first class airline tickets and top-of-the-line hotel vouchers, both with dates and destinations left open for Barbara and I to fill in when ready.

You have been asked to create a brand-new road sign that would be put up, where appropriate, on streets throughout your town. People in your town will be expected to obey it just as they do any other road sign. What will your sign command them to do?

Hugh: Think before you vote!

Me: DRIVE RESPONSIBLY – CHILDREN RIDE IN CARS!

FYI – Milestones in Travel.

450 B.C. Herodotus – The Greek historian and storyteller, while visiting Egypt, invented the world’s first insect repellent- oil from Kiki plant.

1829 – The Tremont House in Boston became the world’s first modern hotel – locked rooms, indoor toilets and baths and complimentary soap.<<<

I found this list of questions in the Daily News. Want to give it a shot? I do.
1. Favorite candidate – Obama.
2. Ideal running mate – Edwards.
3. Ticket slogan – Peace and Prosperity. 4.
Scariest candidate- Huckabee (although Romney is a close second.)
5. Next president - Hillary
6. Best one to be stuck on an island with – McCain (someone close to my own age - = he is a surviver).

From the San Jose Mercury News: If Patriots win, maybe Brady is best ever.

From Turner’s Times: NO WAY!<<<

DOWN: California’s Democratic legislators. Their “vision thing” remained missing in action last week as they turned down Governor Arnie’s health plan. Yes, it was flawed. But it contained the vision of a state that cared. Too bad that our politicians don’t share this vision.

UP: The Bruins, for two great wins this past week. There may not be a better team in the country.

UP: Rick Majerus. The legendary basketball coach, keeps on speaking his mind about issues that count, such as abortion and stem cell research, even though it may cost him his job at the very Catholic St. Louis University.<<<

UP: High praise. As you know, this past week Senator Ted Kennedy endorsed the candidacy of Barack Obama. The following day Kennedy, himself, was endorsed with high praise by conservative NY Times columnist David Brooks. Please allow me to share his tribute.

After his callow youth, Kennedy came to realize that life would not give him the chance to be president. But life did ask him to be a senator, and he has embraced that role and served that institution with more distinction than anyone else now living — as any of his colleagues, Republican or Democrat, will tell you.

DOWN: The Hillary-loving, Kennedy-hating, if-you-are-not-with-us- you’re-against-us NOW which, like most advocate groups ultimately do, has jumped the shark. They have become more about strident and less about reason, which is a bad formula when you want to be listened to.

Please don’t misunderstand. If women put Hillary over the top, I will be thrilled. For too long they have failed to use their majority status on Election Day to secure the kind of America they want.

But instead of “We hate you Ted for not agreeing with us,” why not a “We’ve been friends for a long time, Ted, and we can agree to disagree?”

DOWN: Arlen Specter. Please tell me that the Pennsylvania Senator and his colleagues have more important things to do than investigate the Patriots for their spying on the Jets’ practice early in this NFL season.<<<

Political quote of the week – From David Brooks:

But already, he (McCain) is being judged by different standards. Republicans are wondering how he would compete against Hillary Clinton (whom they moderately fear) and Obama (whom they fear a great deal).<<<

Yesterday was Ground Hog Day and, yes, I saw my shadow – which means six more weeks of dieting.<<<

This week’s questions:

What is the most exquisite restaurant at which you have ever eaten?

“Money doesn’t grow on trees,” or so the expression goes. Imagine, however, that something unusual – besides money - could be grown on trees. Available to be picked whenever you want. What would you want your tree to produce?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home