Nobody

Politics, ethics, travel, book & film reviews, and a log of Starbucks across this great nation.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Nobody 724

Sunday, December 23, 2007
Nobody # 724

Nobody Asked Me But:

Yesterday was a very special day. Our neighbor’s children gave them a surprise 50th anniversary party. Over 100 people were waiting to greet them at the Chop Suey Café in Japantown. We had drinks, lunch and cake and an excellent slide show of fifty years together. What made it even more mind-boggling was that Alice and Kats celebrated their marriage on this day in 1957 AT THIS VERY SAME RESTAURANT.

They are such special people that it was an honor to pay tribute to them.<<<

Obama is an inner-directed man in a profession filled with insecure outer-directed ones.” David Brooks

The news is Grim – Grim Johnson, that is. I received an E from his law firm in London last Monday informing me that Uncle Henry Cox died two years ago and left me “Ten Million, Seven Hundred Thousand British Pounds Sterling.” He apparently willed it to me because he knew that I would use the money for humanitarian purposes. All I am required to do to collect is to “forward the following details of yours; Identification, Full Names, Contact address, Occupation, age, phone/mobile and fax numbers for verification and re-confirmation.”

Poor Uncle Henry, I hardly knew you. And now I must let you down. I cannot take your money, because I do not trust myself. My definition of humanitarian is a new computer every year and even better Bruin basketball seats.

But thanks for the memories – if I could only remember them.<<<

MY VERY BAD

Hugh answered this question from Nobody 722, and somehow I missed his E. So here is the question again, and his answer:

In your opinion, what is the most significant event that has occurred in world history over the last thousand years? (Define significant any way you wish.)

"OK, but beyond my birth I give the nod to the Reformation. Martin Luther a liberal? Imagine if he had gone all the way with the concept of Equality (and supported the peasants for example)? Most shameful act of Martin Luther was his “old world” ideas on the Jews. I understand that he even supported the Earth Centered Universe Theory. Despite these shameful and serious issues he started mankind on a path that has not stopped since his faithful day in the woods in Germany when he was nearly killed by lightning!"

Another question for your Nobodies:

Who is the most important PERSON of the last 1000 years. No cheating, only one!

All right, let’s make his question one of the three for next week.

Two more Hugh answers:

To the “porch question.” (Front porch overlooking…?)

I would love to overlook Augusta National and St. Andrews!!! (Pebble Beach would be my 3rd choice). Notice my ideal porch is VERY big!

To the “what would you do differently question?”

I could have always used some better financial advice 5 years ago! Yahoo or Google anyone? Oh well, three and a half more years of middle school kids COULD be worse I suppose!”

Here are my answers to last week’s questions:

If you could add one feature to your home (e.g. a waterfall in the living room), one would it be?

A front porch where Barb and I could sit evenings and watch the day fade into darkness.

A close second would be windows in the front of the house. The only way we can know what’s happening on Minnehaha is to go outside.

If you were a multimillionaire what do you think that you would be doing this very moment?

The question has two possible interpretations. The first is that I have suddenly come into this vast fortune. The second is that I have been rich for some length of time. My answer would vary depending upon the situation. For this reason, I will give two answers.

If I have suddenly come into my wealth, the first thing I would do is head for Tucson to hire the best custody attorney in town to help my son win his battle to stay in Reno, rather then be forced to move back to Arizona. Part of my effort, if the attorney said it was legal, would be to try to buy Samantha’s surrender of all custodial rights.

After that problem was solved, I would buy, as Christmas presents, new cars for Elizabeth, Greg, George and Alec.

Then I would hurry home so that we could shop for our Christmas present – a new home in Westwood or North of Montana.

In the second scenario, I would already have taken care of the above, and we would be in Manhattan Christmas shopping.<<<

ON BEING PRO-LIFE AND PRO-DEATH

Some have labeled as hypocrites those people who are pro-life but still believe in the death penalty. This is not necessarily true. One can be pro-life and pro-death penalty. (I am neither) Pro-life does not necessarily mean pro "evil’ life.

The moral argument against the death penalty rests on the injustice of its administration, not on false calls for consistency. Rich live and poor die. Whites live and non-whites die. And, because justice is imperfect, innocents die.

Nothing is more immoral than that.<<<

And before I leave the subject, many have said, and I agree, that we need a national debate on the moral issues that divide us. We have a perfect opportunity to do that in the upcoming primaries.

Demand that ALL of the candidates answer this question: I will appoint SC judges who favor (upholding/overturning) Roe v. Wade. Then let the voters make their choice.<<<

In the current Newsweek there is a list of their 10 best books of the year. I have read three of the top four, which once again proves that if you search through enough lists you will find one that makes you look good.<<<

55555 is not the sign of Satan:

Tuesday, while on the way to UCLA, Barbara glanced down at the instrument panel and saw that it was 5:55 and the temperature outside was 55.<<<

ANATHEMA

Of all major candidates from either party, the person I would least like to be elected president is Mitt Romney. While several candidates would sell their soul to win, I believe that Mitt would add his first born to the mix. On my trust scale among those running, he gets a -10.<<<

Here are the other two questions for next week:

If you could create a drive-through that would offer one product or service while you waited in your vehicle, what type of drive-through would you want to create?


If you could fall in love with someone in any city in the world, what city would you choose?

I made up the bracketology below for the holiday season. I hope that you have the time to test your choices against mine. If not, just enjoy – or ignore – or boo and hiss. Whatever lights up your season. jt

Note: This was an exercise in anguish. Well, maybe not anguish, but it was tough, because there is not a song here that I do not love – in the platonic sense, of course.


SWEET SIXTEEN

Game 1:
The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting)
Vs.
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

I love “Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, but when Judy sings, “Through the years we all will be together, I melt. Winner - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas.

Game 2:
White Christmas
Vs.
Grandmother Got Run Over By A Reindeer.

This one is closer than first appearances might indicate. Who wouldn’t love grandmother getting trampled by Rudolph? But when Bing dreams in white, everyone listens. Winner – White Christmas.

Game 3:
I’ll Be Home For Christmas
Vs.
Winter Wonderland.

Snow again, and mistletoe = wonderful. But can ANYONE not sing along with “a beautiful sight, we’re happy tonight?” Winner – Winter Wonderland.

Game 4:
Silver Bells
Vs.
Jingle Bells

Here the bells, bells, bells! Hope sang “City sidewalks, busy sidewalks” to Marilyn Maxwell in “The Lemon Drop Kid” and it became an instant classic. But everybody sings Jingle Bells as they dash through the snow (or through the shoppers). Winner – Jingle bells.

Game 5
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
Vs.
Santa Baby

The winner, Santa Baby, when sung by Eartha Kitt, is a sheer delight. And, besides, the kid should not be up that late spying on Santa.

Game 6
Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
Vs.
Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree

Rockin’s really gets a person moving, but I cannot choose against that Red nose, at least this early in the tournament. Winner - Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer.

Game 7
Let it Snow
Vs.
Deck The Halls

This match is really tough. “The weather out side is frightful”
vs “Fa la la la la, la la la la.” The old beats the new – barely. The winner – Deck The Halls.

Game 8
Blue Christmas
Vs.
The Twelve Days of Christmas

Another tough one, (aren’t they all) but even Elvis has to give way to ten lords a leaping and the partridge in that pear tree. Winner - The Twelve Days of Christmas


ELITE EIGHT

Game 1:
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
Vs.
White Christmas

Two romantic songs. Two dreaming songs. The winner – White Christmas, but not by much.

Game 2:
Winter Wonderland
Vs.
Jingle Bells

Again, very close, but Winter Wonderland encompasses Jingle bells and more and, therefore wins.

Game 3
Santa Baby
Vs.
Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer

I like Santa Baby a bit more, but Christmas is for children, as is Rudolph. The red-nosed reindeer again wins by a nose.

Game 4
Deck The Halls
Vs:
The Twelve Days of Christmas

WOW! These are tough. But Deck the Halls is easier to sing along with and is our winner.

FINAL FOUR

Game 1:
White Christmas
Vs.
Winter Wonderland

White Christmas is second only to Rudolph in Christmas records sold. But I would buy or listen to Winter Wonderland first.

Game 2
Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
Vs.
Deck The Halls

Kids love it. I love it. But since I am only part kid anymore, I love Deck The Halls even more.

NATIONAL CHAMPION

Winter Wonderland
Vs.
Deck The Halls

Now that I have made my choice, “I’m walking in a winter wonderland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home