Nobody

Politics, ethics, travel, book & film reviews, and a log of Starbucks across this great nation.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Monday, December 31, 2007

Nobody 725

Tuesday, January 1, 2008
Nobody # 725

Nobody Asked Me But:

FASHION STATEMENT OF THE YEAR - (above)

TRAGEDY AND THE ELECTION

Some say that Benazir Bhutto's tragic death by assassination will give a boost to the presidential candidates in both parties who have the most experience in foreign policy. That would be Clinton and McCain, unless Rudy’s being mayor of NY counts as foreign policy. What I hope the voters are smart enough to realize is that the candidates mentioned have experience in FAILED foreign policy. Even with Hillary at his side, the international arena was most certainly not President Bill’s strongest area, and both HRC and McCain have poor track records on Iraq.

I will take superior ability and inexperience over experience any day. And so, according to the polls, may the voters in New Hampshire.<<<

Speaking of polls, Ryan questioned me in Tucson about why I support Obama over Hillary. My answer is best summarized in the results of last week’s LA Times/Bloomberg poll. Barack scored the highest of all Democrats in the areas I value most:

Would be more likely to produce new ideas
Has more honesty and integrity
Best at saying what he believes

Speaking of Ryan, here he is, as usual, up a Tucson tree.

Speaking of Tucson, we had a great two days there – pizza and presents, time (but not enough) to talk or just be together and a very good movie.

Speaking of the movie, “Dan In Real Life,” it was was accompanied by a bit of a miracle. I walked up to the box office and asked for two adults, one child and one senior. I laid down two $20s but the cashier returned $28. Four movie tickets for $12 – if that’s not a miracle, I don’t know one.

Speaking of miracles, my children and grandchildren all qualify. Greg and Ben made a quick Christmas stop Friday night on their way to Tucson. It was a great joy to watch them open their presents.

Speaking of joy, it was really neat to spend Christmas night at Tom’s place in La Quinta. He cooked a terrific Christmas dinner – roast pork, homemade applesauce, potatoes, corn, green beans and a delicious Julian apple-raspberry pie.

HERE ARE A FEW PICTURES OF OUR TRIP.


I don't go to school to talk to God. I'm in school to learn." - High school freshman Dawn Sherman on a new Alabame law requiring public schools to provide a moment of silence each day.<<<

Billionaire investor Sam Zell purchased the Chicago Tribune Co. last week. In a memo to employees, he summarized his reformation plans. As soon as I read his four goals, I realized that they could be perfectly applied to education.

We will take intelligent risks and reward innovation.
We will tear down bureaucracy and reward entrepreneurial spirit.
We will compete fiercely but with integrity.
We will work hard and have fun.

If this is not a blueprint for success in public education at all levels – students, teachers, administrators – then we are most surely lost.<<<

A few days ago, while Barb’s car was having recall repairs, I went to two movies - (yes, I paid twice) – something I have not done in a long time. I thought “I Am Legend” was quite good, although I wasn’t happy with something near the end. I debated going back for “Charlie Wilson’s War.” After all, the critics were mostly lukewarm about it. I made the right choice. I thought it was one of the most entertaining films I have seen in a long time. The teacher in me would give it a B+ for quality and a solid A for entertainment.

But what about the critics? I think that sometimes they judge a movie based on what they want it to be, rather than what it is. “CWW” does not make a profound statement about the downside of American aid to the Afghan rebels in their battle against the invading Soviets, although it makes two passing references at the end about America’s being better at the fight than the follow-up. But it does make you think a little and laugh a lot. That is not a small grace.<<<

Here is a partial list of my bests (and some worst) of 2007

PEOPLE OF THE YEAR

My children - for their incredibly good parenting.

MOST BORING NEWS COVERAGE

Presidential candidate debates (both parties) – too early, too many, too vapid.

UNNECESSARY REVELATION OF THE YEAR

J. K. Rolwing saying the Dumbledore was gay.

BEST SPORTING EVENT

The Final Four – even though we lost in the semi-final game, it was exciting to be in Atlanta for the greatest “weekend” in sports. (actually Saturday - Monday)

BEST TV

“The Sopranos.”
Runner-up – “Rome”

BEST MOVIES

“No Country For Old Men”
Runner-up – “3:10 To Yuma”
Most entertaining – “Charlie Wilson’s War”

TEN BEST BOOKS (In alphabetical order by author)

“The Blood-Dimmed Tide,” by Rennie Airth
“The Tin Roof Blowdown,” by James Lee Burke
“The Bone Garden,” by Tess Gerritsen
“The Kite Runner,” by Kahled Hasseini
“The Children of Men,” by P. D. James
“The Road,” By Cormac McCarthy
“Atonement,” by Ian McEwan
“The Abstinence Teacher,” by Tom Perrotta
“Harry Potter And The Deadly Hallows,” by J. K. Rowling
“The Race,” by Richard North Patterson.

AND THE WORST

“The Machiavelli Covenant,” by Allan Folsom

MY ANSWERS TO LAST WEEK’S QUESTIONS

If you could create a drive-through that would offer one product or service while you waited in your vehicle, what type of drive-through would you want to create?

Turner’s De-Vine Grape Soda Shop would be a drive-through that carried only grape soda. The customers could choose from five brands: Grapette, Nehi, Grape Crush, Stewart’s and Traubi, the latter of which originated in Communist Hungary.

I have loved grape pop since I was a kid, and I think I could make it America’s favorite soda that isn’t Coke. To do that, I would add a walk-up window for comparison samples or, as I would call them, flite tests.

If you could fall in love with someone in any city in the world, what city would you choose?

Westwood, at a Bruin basketball game. My runner-up place would be St. James Park in London.

Hugh’s answer:

Any city where you fall in love would probably be the best city on the face of the planet!

And Hugh’s answer to the earlier sudden wealth question:

If I was a rich man! I suppose I would want to spread some cheer to my
family. With that taken care of I would probably take care of a friend (or
two?). With the domestic side of the issue taken care of I would want to
spread some cheer to my favorite charity, the Salvation Army (no I do not
have a military band in my basement*). I just like the fact that they are
quick to help in times of disaster and they have a VERY low overhead.

I do not have a basement...............yet!

Three questions for next week

Babe Ruth, James Dean, Elvis Presley…. If you could bring back one superstar for one final performance in their respective field, whom would you choose?

What is a fun New Year’s resolution that you wish you had kept?

And Hugh's:

Who is the most important PERSON of the last 1000 years?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home