Nobody

Politics, ethics, travel, book & film reviews, and a log of Starbucks across this great nation.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Sunday, December 05, 2010

Nobody 844

Sunday, December 5, 2010
Nobody # 844

Nobody Asked Me But:

Thanks to my wife’s generosity, I dive once more into the digital pool. She bought me an E-reader. The iPad was tempting, as was the Kindle, but I have a problem reading in most hotel room lighting, and the back-lit Velocity Cruz reader seems to suit me best. If it doesn’t, I have a 30-day return guarantee.

Trust me, e-reading will not replace my consumption of “real” books. I love bookstores and the feel of the printed page in my hands too much. But an e-reader, with its lighting and storage, will be great for our trips.<<<

And, while on the subject of real books, the best of 2010 bests lists a
re starting to come out. (I will have my 5 best later in December.) I was pleased to see that I have read 2 of the 5 best novels on the NY Times list – “Freedom” and “ROOM.”

I totally agree on “Freedon.” It is an excellent novel. About “ROOM,” I am not so sure. I liked this Booker Award nominee about a mother and son whose world is th
e room they have been imprisoned in for years, but I didn’t love it.<<<

I had a strange box office experience Thursday when I went to buy my IMAX ticket to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The ticket seller stuck a gun in my face and demanded that I empty m
y wallet. Or perhaps it just seemed that way when he quoted the price of my ticket at $15. Add the $6 I paid for a small popcorn and I could have reduced the national debt had I chosen to do so.

As for the movie, my reaction is the same as for “ROOM.” I liked it but didn’t love it. It is hard to call any movie excellent that depends too much on periodic and sudden explosions of noise. HPATDH has too many flat spots filled with beautiful but desolate scenery and too little action except for the outbursts.<<<

More on movies and lists – The first of the Best Films lists is out. The National Board of Review just named “The Social Network” as the best movie of 2010. I have not seen a better film (so far) this year.<<<

Here’s a game of chance that Obama and the Democrats can wi
n if they have the guts (and/or the brains). Despite the outrageous claims (lies) of Mitch McConnell, polls show that a plurality of Americans oppose extending the tax cuts for the wealthiest 2% of Americans. So let the Republicans go ahead with their threat to shut down the government over this issue. Then shine a public light on them as the party willing to sacrifice 98% in order to defend the very rich. It certainly worked for Clinton over Newt in 1995.<<<

He does some things that drive me crazy, but I would grade “The Terminator” no worse than a B- for his role as California’s governor.<<<

News flash: The Pentagon is considering cuts in medical benefits for military retirees.

Reaction: NO! NO! NO! These people gave their years and risked their lives for their country. If anyone deserves top-of-t
he-line lifetime medical benefits it is them.<<<

ON WIKILEAKS

Palin - Did you see where Sarah (I’d rather be rich than finish my term as governor) blames Obama for the Wikileaks, which she says he planned soon after his birth in the African nation in Indonesia?<<<

Bush - "It's goi
ng to be very hard to keep the trust of foreign leaders, which, incidentally, I never had nor cared about.”

My thoughts – There were no secret criminal acts by our government, such as the Bush torture policy, exposed this time around. These leaks were more embarrassing than serious. Am I surprised that American diplomats spy or that they say insulting things about other governments and leaders? No. The real issue this time is secrecy versus transparency. I believe that the fewer the secrets, the better the democracy.<<<

If by some chance, the Eagles and the Steelers make it to the Super Bowl, there would be an unusual quarterback dual – the killer of dogs versus the abuser of women.<<<

Is it true: That in the hearing on repealing “Don’t ask, don’t tell,” Senator McCain took off his shoe and pounded it on his desk screaming Neyt, Neyt?

Is McCain really that much of a homophobe? Perhaps he should read the quote below.<<<

As one special
operations force warfighter told us, (American Prospect) “We have a gay guy [in the unit]. He’s big, he’s mean, and he kills lots of bad guys. No one cared that he was gay.”<<<

I do not mean to alarm you but they may soon be a new endangered species in California. “They” are a type of elephant, scientific name GOP. A recent political census shows that even with a population growth since 1988 of 10 million, there are fewer registered Republicans in the state.

Let’s see. Shall we declare them a protected species? I don’t think so.<<<

My favorite scene involving Leslie Nielsen, who died this past week, is the exchange with George Bush in “Naked Gun.” Bush says to him, “Frank, please consider the post I am creating. It may mean long hours and dangerous nights surrounded by some of the scummiest elements in our society.” Frank (Nielsen) replies – “You want me to be in your cabinet?”<<<

Of all sad words of tongue or pen
The saddest are these,
It might have been.” Jo
hn Greenleaf Whittier

In November, Kevin Love became the first NBA player in 29 years to record a 30-30 game (30 or more points and rebounds) he also became the first league player in 19 years to have 4 20-20s in a month. Kevin would have been a senior at UCLA this year.<<<

And finally, you might want to check out this very interesting lin
k:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/03/AR2010120303209.html?wpisrc=nl_most

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home