Nobody

Politics, ethics, travel, book & film reviews, and a log of Starbucks across this great nation.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Nobody 826


Sunday, July 25, 2010

Nobody # 826

Nobody Asked Me But:

If there is any human tragedy, there is only one, and it occurs when we forget who we are and remain silent when a stranger takes up residence inside our skin. James Lee Burke, from his new book The Glass Rainbow. (Haven’t I always told you this guy writes poetry disguised as prose.)

IT’S A SMALL WORLD

For several months, I have been scanning all our pre-digital photos. I have done this at random, simply pulling envelopes of developed snapshots from the shoeboxes where they are stored. What envelopes did chance bring to my hand Last Monday, our anniversary eve? Wedding shots.

Later that afternoon, but not at random, Barb fixed

us tuna sandwiches, just like the ones we bought and ate at a picnic bench in Bermuda twenty-one years ago today. She also fixed us gimlets, which, I am sorry to say, we didn’t have at Elbow Beach. (picture)<<<

In the game of life, I remain far ahead of aging, my toughest opponent. But I have to give the ancient one credit. He moved into position to score a point on me last week. My optician is recommending to the Department of Motor Vehicles that I not be cleared for night driving. Dr. Nestor, a really nice guy, was kind of apologetic about it, but I told him an eye doctor guy’s got to do what an eye doctor guy’s got to do.

Yes, this will put a small/medium crimp in my lifestyle, but I have a responsibility to others. In those times when I can’t drive safely, I shouldn’t drive.<<<

Last month I read an excellent novel, “The Ghosts of Belfast,” by Stuart Neville. The book won the 2010 LA Times award for the best mystery/thriller. The story is about a former Irish Republican hit man who is tortured by his past and seeks redemption by killing those who gave the orders. (I am giving nothing away that cannot be found in the summery on the front flap.) An interesting addition to the book is a five-question reading guide. I found this last question especially fascinating.

Q5) Gerry Fegan seeks atonement for past killings by spilling yet more blood. The novel takes no moral stance on the idea of violence as a means of correcting injustice, and Fegan himself is conflicted on this. Should the book have condemned Fegan’s actions more clearly? (No.) While the story is entirely fictional, is the reader in a way complicit in the bloodshed by empathizing with the killer? (Yes.) Does that reflect on the reader’s, or indeed the author’s, own moral standards? (Yes.) Can violence ever be justified given the right social or moral context? Yes, under certain circumstances violence can be justified. And these circumstances are clear and present in the story.

Applying the question to current terrorism: Suppose one of the planners of 9/11 suddenly felt guilty for his action and started killing the al Queda leaders who ordered the jihad. Would you feel him morally wrong? I wouldn’t. If given the opportunity I would pay for his bullets or explosives.<<<

Foxcensorship: . A few years ago, the Center for Constitutional Rights tried to buy an ad criticizing torture, but Fox News refused to air it. Bill O'Reilly insisted the ad was "anti-American."

Which leads us to:

Foxlogic 1a: Criticizing torture is anti-American. Therefore - Torture is American.<<<

And while on the subject of torture, I have read two novels in the last month in which the hero was waterboarded. They described a horrible and terrifying act that puts to shame all concepts of humanity and gives lie to every definition of the word civilized.<<<

Headline: Approval of Obama drops to 28 percent in new Arizona poll.

Jimline: My approval of Arizona drops to 15. That’s not 15%. There are 15 people in the state of whom I approve – and my daughter and grandchildren make up 1/3 of those.<<<

Headline: Bill Clinton ahead of Obama, says poll.

Jimline: Another poll gone bad. Barack Obama is a better president than Bill Clinton was and a better man as well. It’s not even close. And I like Bill Clinton.<<<

While on the subject of Clinton, if the people remain blind on Obama and it looks like a sure thing that he will lose in 2012, wouldn’t it be a great move for him to step aside and support Hillary for the nomination? Her performance as Sec State has shown me a lot.

Whether Obama serves 2 terms, or only 1, history will say "Well done Mr. President."<<<

My wife and I are not really the cocktail party types, but we attended a fun one in Westlake’s North Ranch Wednesday. It was in honorof UCLA basketball Coach Ben Howland who talked about the player’s summer workouts and the team’s prospects for next year. The house was incredible and the finger food delicious, especially the baby lamb chops and the crab cakes. I ate my share of everything and, yes, my fingers were fatter the next day.

“Facts are stupid things.” Ronald Reagan, 1988 (He meant stubborn.)

FIVE GREAT LAKER TRADES

October 1975: Elmore Smith, Dave Meyers and others to the Milwaukee Bucks for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

1996: Vlade Divac to the Charlotte Hornets for a 17-year old rookie named Kobe Bryant.

July 1968: Darrall Imhoff and two other easily forgotten players for Wilt Chamberlain.

January 2008: Kwame Brown, Marc Gasol and Jarvis Crittenton to Memphis for Pau Gasol.

1976: Gail Goodrich to the New Orleans (now Utah) Jazz for 3 first round draft picks. They used the third one (1979) to draft Magic Johnson.<<<

Raven wide receiver Anquan Boldin is a wise man. When asked by The Sporting News with whom he would like to trade places with for a day, he answered: “Anyone who’s retired.”

Question for Mr. Answer Man: Can Joe Torre get the Dodgers into the play-offs this year?

Answer Man: “Only if he buys them tickets.”

Every time I walk past a Coldstone and turn to go in, I am taking the famous step in the right direction.

Love story – UCLA football recruit, Josh Shirley, gets caught stealing a purse and is kicked off the team………and is then given a free ride

by the University of Washington. Love story? Love of winning story.


Welcome back Mad bunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home