Nobody

Politics, ethics, travel, book & film reviews, and a log of Starbucks across this great nation.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Nobody 711

Sunday, September 16, 2007
Nobody # 711

Nobody Asked Me But:

If I had to describe Hawaii in only one word, I would choose “incredibly perfect.”

The highlight of highlights on our trip was to walk past a store window in Kailua and see this replica on wood (picture) of my first meeting with Barb.

I have so much to tell you. Where do I start?

A great vacation is an accumulation of great experiences, so the best of these seems appropriate. On top and almost even were:

Sitting in a short beach chair on the sand at the Kahala, a book in my hand, the waves breaking over my feet. (And sometimes over my rear as well.)

Sitting on the balcony of our eleventh floor room at the Halekulani with Diamondhead in the short distance and Waikiki spread out at my feet. Having my Sunday SB’s mocha there wasn’t too shabby either.

Close behind these two were:

Our first row seats to watch the UCLA/Hawaii women’s volleyball game. Barb tried to buy tickets ahead of time, but the Bruin athletic department comped them to us. We were in the midst of the player’s parents, which was fun, and the Bruins swept, which was extra fun. We had such a good time that we are planning to see some games here.

(The second volleyball picture is from Nogales, not Hawaii, and that’s future star Emily in the forefront.)

Sunset from the House Without A Key. Yes, Charlie Chan, too, hung out at the Halekulani. The music, the hula, the tree and the sea.

Also very cool:

The hammock at the Sheraton in Kauai – doing nothing, just taking it all in.

Playing smashball in the back pool of the Sheraton.

Hearing the dolphins splash and play at night from our Kahala room.<<<



BEST VIEWS – EVERYWHERE. BUT THE BEST OF THE BEST WERE:

Looking down on Hanalei from Princeville on the plateau above. There was “South Pacific” in all its glory – from the beaches to Bali Hai. (Pointed peak in picture)

The afore-mentioned Diamondhead view.

The surf up close, from one of our two balconies at the Sheraton Kauai. The sand was no more than 10 yards from us.<<<

BEST FOOD – SO MUCH TO EAT SO LITTLE TIME.

Let me start with a tale of two dinners. On my birthday we went to Roy’s, long the favorite restaurant of my world. For dinner I had short ribs and Barb, macadamia-crusted white fish. Add an appetizer, drinks and dessert and a check that with taxes and tip came to $127.

The next day we went to a walk-up, picnic table place called the Shrimp Station. I had sweet chili garlic shrimp and Barb her usual beer-battered shrimp. The bill was $27.

You guessed it. The second dinner was better in every way. In fact, my shrimp was the best dish I had during the entire trip. Every thing at Roy’s was mediocre. My Mai Tai was average, my short ribs, watery, my potatoes cool. Barb liked her mac-crusted Ono, but even that was unexceptional. And her two spears of asparagus were cold. Our traditional dessert, Roy's lave cake was short of ice cream and what was there was 1/3 melted.

Other great tastes: My steak at Chuck’s on Waikiki – served with another incredible view. (sunset picture)

My sausage dressing at Casa di Amici on Kauai.

The rice and beans at another walk-up, this time Mexican, on Kauai.

The malasadas at a stand outside Kauai’s K Mart, (3 for $1.25) and the ones at Leonard’s in Oahu.

The French fries at Kua Aina – so good that we went back two nights later.

The cookies from Famous Amos – yes, Amos is still baking them for his store in Kailua on Oahu. Also, the always-delicious coconut-chocolate chip ones from Popo’s.

And I cannot forget the chocolate-chip scones with clotted cream served at the high tea at the Kalaha. (Palm trees and ocean) With these go a story. When we checked in at the hotel, our room was not available. The party occupying it had decided to stay longer. So the management offered to upgrade us to a room by the dolphin lagoon, which had not yet been cleaned. To make our wait sweeter, the hotel comped us the high tea of our choice. This is how we came to sample the scones as part of $45 worth of drinks and goodies, along with another wonderful view, and all for free.

The scones were so good that Barb ordered them twice from room service. They were super every time but, alas, no clotted cream.

Before leaving the twin subjects of bargains and food, I must tell you of another example of my wife’s wisdom and tenacity. Just before we left, she learned that the Kahala was offering an incentive to those who, unlike us, were late-comers to their package. Barb thought that we should not be penalized for early reservations, so she successfully negotiated the addition of free daily breakfasts ($29.95 per person, per day), and a $200 food credit.

One last food item, this one an oddity. At the Kahala’s beach restaurant they list both their cheeseburger (B) and their crab salad sandwich (J) with a fried egg. This was a bit too adventurous for Barb and I, so we had them hold the egg – no not that way.<<<

THE BREAST OF HANALEI

Hanalei was not only the beautiful setting for “South Pacific,” it was the “hippie” haven of the 60s and early 70s, and their influence still prevails. If you do not believe me, I will have Barb take a picture of me in the tie-died tank that I purchased there.

All of this is a lead-in for the following incident. In a small Hanalei boutique, I found two shirts that I wanted to try on. As I walked toward the dressing room a young woman walked out with her blouse unbuttoned to the waist. She was braless and totally exposed. After several minutes, (I think it was 30-40) I averted my eyes only to have her turn to me and, with no effort to cover up, offer the dressing room.

I accepted, thinking that I could escape this disgusting scene, but when I came out she hadn’t changed one tit, excuse me, I meant one bit.

Oh, and the shirts didn’t fit.<<<

MY DREAM HOUSE

One afternoon as we took a short ride from our hotel in Kauai to take some pictures of the Spouting Horn, - ocean water shooting upward with a trumpet like sound through a hole in the rocks - we drove past Gloria’s B&B where we stayed several trips ago. Much to our surprise it was for sale. This could be my dream house (picture ) except that I am about 4 and 1/2 million short of the $4.5M asking price.<<<

Did you know: That chickens own the roads of Kauai?

That the Hawaiian Islands are the world’s most isolated spot?

That Maine is the only state with a one-syllable name? (Nothing to do with Hawaii but interesting)<<<

COMING AND GOING – OUR FLIGHTS

With some trepidation, we checked out the new service from the Van Nuys Fly-Away where, for $5, you can turn over your bags to an agent and not see again until your reach your destination. Much to our delight and surprise our bags arrived with the plane. We will certainly do it again.

However, on our return flight we discovered that First Class, like the Old Grey mare, ain’t what it used to be. We had enough United miles to upgrade, and we did have much more leg room, but the champagne was weak, the Mai Tai bad enough to send back and the cabernet and cold chicken no better than fair. But the mixed nuts, served in a war metal cup were great, and the plane made it. So what’s to complain about?<<<

A LITTLE POLITICS – VERY LITTLE

I know that the Sen. Larry E. Craig affair is old news, - so no cheap shots here, but I still say here is something queer about the whole thing.<<<


Headline: Poll: Bush approval holds at 36 – that’s people, not %.

Isn’t it nice that Petraeus (In the picture with President Clinton) wants and Bush agrees to bring 2 or 3 troops home this year?

And if the “surge” is working even a little, and I am not sure it is, doesn’t that make our President a failure for not implementing it earlier? Certainly many people urged him to.<<<

1 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Great pictures, dad. How neat that you got a chance to see a UCLA volleyball game as an added bonus.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home