Nobody

Politics, ethics, travel, book & film reviews, and a log of Starbucks across this great nation.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Thursday, April 28, 2011


Sunday, May 1, 2011

Nobody # 864

Nobody Asked Me But:

In times of war, the law falls silent. – Cicero

That Was The Week That Was – As always, each of these short verses is based on a news event that happened during the past week.(Note: It would probably be better if the lines my verses were closer to being uniform in length, but I believe that would place limits on the stories I tell, and I am unwilling to do that. As it is, each verse has its own rhythm and to find it is to get the most out of my efforts.)


The people of St Loo praised God almighty

No one was killed in savage storm last week

But what of those elsewhere

No answer to their prayer

It seems God left them up that well-known creek


Now “Wallie” was surely part Nazi

She loved them in more ways than one

But she ruled a king

Made Edward’s bell ring

Made lover than king much more fun


There’ll be no Labor PM’s at the wedding

The Queen and crew just do not care to slum

And if one tries to crash

The Prince’s wedding bash

Queen Liz, herself, outside will throw the bum


The Rev. Billy’s son may endorse Donald

Said Franklin Graham the man just pleases me

That’s not so very odd

He’s a man who loves his God

Of course to Trump his God is clearly HE


A Tennessee law will tell teachers

Before the ninth grade don’t say gay

No excitement for a while

So another Monkey Trial

Our claim to dumb is still alive today


So 4 in 10 Republicans are birthers

They all still think that Obama is a plot

Hatched in foreign place

Or perhaps in outer space

These birthers, too brainy they are not


This idea I saw in the paper

And I pass it to you all for free

‘Cause they’re often filled with slime

And are prime wastes of time

Bad movies should cost less to see


There’s a story about a Texas politician

So afraid that a gay guy he might meet

About AIDS was so worried

That while in the shower he hurried

And wore a bathing cap on his feet


Haley Barbour was all prepared to run

He thought he was a cinch to win top spot

He said I’m really in

Like the proverbial Mr. Flynn

But Haley’s wife said, no man, you are not


Atlas took a dive at the box office

The producer looked just like he had been mugged

It’s not viewers fault

If they don’t like Johnny Galt

In the end it was the audience that shrugged


Conservatives are going to war with welfare

The money used for it makes their blood boil

Subsidies on them grate

They hate the nanny state

Unless the bucks are used to help big oil


Frank McCourt whined at his presser

I’m keeping my team is his vow

I know I’ve been bad

An SOB cad

But I’ll be a good boy now


Of all the strange revelations

Who would have believed it, not I

Pasadena’s famed lady

Lived a life that was shady

Julia Childs was a spy


Now they’re questioning his entrance into Harvard

The birthers have a new line of attack

He must have had free ride

He could not have qualified

That’s obvious to us because he’s black


To show that little has changed over the years, here’s a paragraph from Nobody # 5, which I wrote on April 28, 1996

I just watched "This Week With David Brinkley" for the first time in several years. Never again - at least the first part where the politicians are interviewed. It was (1) a waste of time and (2) an exercise in futility that made me want to throw up. Everyone, Democrat and Republican was a lying, evading, self-serving hypocrite - and those were their good qualities. It is no wonder that Americans have so little respect for their politicians. The last twenty minutes when the reporters discussed the issues was much better. Here is where I part company from many of my fellow Americans. I have great respect for the legitimate, as opposed to the entertaining, press. At least they have intelligence!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home